Wednesday, March 20, 2013
"Summer Pasture", 16 x 20 oil on canvas
I thought I would post this summer scene to get our minds off the lingering effects of winter this year. Painted from some reference photos I shot over a year ago, I completed this landscape late last year, and only recently got it into a frame and added to the inventory. It depicts Spyder, a dappled grey quarterhorse that was boarded at our barn briefly, and my two mares are in the background. So many of my equine paintings are large, bold close-ups that are deliberately devoid of background elements. Sometimes I enjoy the practice of painting a landscape of trees. The looseness that is forced upon me having to render a complex dense stand of evergreens and deciduous trees is a refreshing change of pace from the controlled detailed work of the horses.
Monday, February 25, 2013
It's been a prolific month for painting. Cold weather, snow, freezing rain, all makes for long cozy days in the studio. Supplied with a brand new watercolor block, a ten-pack of 11 x 14 stretched canvases, and a few other odd-sized gallerywrap canvases around, I have been able to launch into new work, often with up to five or six pieces in progress at a time. I'll showcase the most recent oils in this post. At the top is an oil sketch of a warmblood mare. My goal here was to keep this piece loose and painterly, and to finish it in two painting sessions. Goal accomplished. It is a challenge to capture light and shadow on such a complex beast as a horse using a bare minimum of brush strokes. I loved the shot I had of this mare, the pose had so much movement, the shadows and reflected light were describing her form perfectly.
Next I completed two more in my flower series. I am enjoying the delicate forms of flowers as much as the living, moving musculature of horses. It is fun to work with colors in my palette that I rarely use in the horse paintings. Here we have two 12 x 12 gallerywrap canvases, of a crabapple blossom and a magnolia flower.
And then it was back to horses. "Arabian Light" is a more tightly finished study than the warmblood, but I wanted to really capture that crisp summer sunlight on this white horse. Seeing this image next to the magnolia makes me want to put together a display of white horses and white flowers.
Monday, January 07, 2013
I am not one to make New Year's resolutions, but it is the time of year to start planning the year's schedule of shows, and I must tear myself away from the easel to take care of that business.
Those almost finished equine paintings will be posted soon, but in the meantime, a recently completed panel painting:
Monday, November 26, 2012
"Siberian Iris" 11 x 14 oil on canvas
If you are wondering what a day in the life of an artist is like...my list for today was pretty typical. The entire morning was spent at the theater. (Well, okay, I can't say it's typical for me--as I am fairly new to set painting.) Three hours later...faux bricks, faux timbers, cracks in faux plaster walls...By twelve I was famished and called it quits for the morning. Then home to eat a quick lunch and throw the makings of beef stew in the crock pot.
The afternoon in the studio went something like this...place some online orders for printed materials to take advantage of Cyber Monday deals, cut mats for a watercolor house portrait (yes, that's house, not horse), and another watercolor. Put a coat of gesso on a new painting panel, scan a section of a painting that I am still tweaking, after I already scanned the whole thing in eight pieces and knitted it together in Photoshop. Now I was still not happy with one of the horse's eyes, and have reworked it again, only to have to wait for it to dry before re-scanning. Attempt to cut stencils for a faux stone wall on the theater set, only to decide that I'll be better off free-hand painting the stonework. Paint the edges of a deeply cradled gessoboard painting of a chick. Put wire hangers on a couple of finished framed pieces. Decide which pieces of art to take to the RISD Holiday Alumni Art Sale, which is just under two weeks away.
Last on the list is to update the blog. New work has been slow in coming with the theater set work taking up much of my time. Several new works in progress, including the horse with the troublesome eye are taking longer than usual to get to the digitization stage. The Siberian Iris, above, is one of those that sort of fell through the cracks lately. The piece was finished and framed a couple of months ago, when I realized I had never digitized it, and had to take it out of the frame to do so. This is another in the series of flower studies that I will be exhibiting in the spring. So work gets done, eventually, sometimes in fits and starts. Keep an eye out for the latest horse painting...I think I have finally fixed that eye.
Monday, November 05, 2012
The other two hens are Golden-laced Wyandottes, and I have yet to do a painting of one of those as an adult hen. The lacy feathers are beautiful, but will be a challenge to paint.
Tuesday, October 30, 2012
Over the next month I will be busy painting some theater sets for a local production, still creative work, but not the type of work that I am used to, so this is an opportunity to break out of my comfort zone and try something new. I have already been painting some set walls for another theater group, experimenting with techniques for creating faux brick walls. Hurricane Sandy has wreaked havoc with my schedule, and although it has blessed me with two full days of being home, able to do studio work, I would really like nothing more than to get those brick walls finished!
Add to the mix Halloween, and my son's need for a costume. He decided to be Waldo, of Where's Waldo fame, and lacking a red and white hat, I said I could knit one up fairly quickly. I have managed to nearly complete a hat in two days, and I will easily finish it up tonight---I think I deserve mom points for this one!